Reinventing the school newspaper for the digital generation
You are here: Student News Trust/Sports Report

Sports Report

Early cup exit for HGS seniors

HGS senior’s participation in the National cup came to an early and shocking conclusion with a 4-0 defeat by neighbours ST Aiden’s.

The start of an embarrassing evening for HGS began with early pressure from the home side, who failed to convert their chances. Despite some aggressive early challenges ST Aiden’s, refused to hide and continued to attack dangerously.

footballThe first chance of the match arrived when an early mistake by the Aiden’s defence let Jake Hallet through on goal, his shot was well saved by the oncoming keeper. Despite the  positive start, St Aiden’s scored  only two minutes later after a pacey attack.  Keeper James Rule was unable to prevent their striker sliding the ball past him into the bottom corner. The goal scorer would continue to cause the HGS defence problems and on the seventeen minute mark he went through a second time.  Using his blistering pace to race through the HGS defence he was only stopped by a large puddle inside the penalty box.  However the seniors luck was about to run out.  A few minutes later a free kick whipped in from the left hand side was nodded in at the far post.  Half time ended what was a shocking first half display HGS performance.  The team manger did not hold back his feelings during interval.

HGS came out positively in the second half and after fifty five minutes tricky winger Gareth Traynor was hauled down on the edge of the box.  Pleas for a penalty were waived away.   Despite this controversy Traynor had another chance to score when his powerful shot was tipped over by the Aiden’s keeper. It was clear to that the HGS did not intend to go down without a fight.

However the game was effectively over on 55 minutes when another header was not dealt with by the HGS defence, and was nodded in at the far post. The misery continued when with yet another poorly defended looping cross was headed in to make it 4-0  to the hosts. The match slowly came to end with little to mention apart from a promising shot from skilful midfielder Mikey Mossman.  For HGS the final whistle could not have come soon enough and they will be eager to put this terrible result behind them and focus on upcoming games.